Oil Painting Time Lapse: Woman with Flowers in Hair (3 of 3)


Comparing the original reference photo
to my painting, I want to focus on the upper background above the grass which
is nearly black in the reference photo. Mine is more blue. I need it to be darker
but I don’t want to lose the greenery above her head. So, I turned it upside
down just as a side note. The reason I did that was because when I was painting,
my hand was blocking my view of the line of her face, and I didn’t want to
accidentally paint into her face. So, turning it upside down gave me a better
angle. But going back to my goal here in painting the background, I want it to be
very dark, maybe the darkest part of the whole
painting in that section of the background. I’m using ultramarine blue
and cadmium red to make my black. It’s really a lot of ultramarine blue and
just a smidgen of cadmium red, and when I paint it very thinly, it still looks a
little bit blue. (music) After 20 minutes, I realized that I
missed the light leaves by her cheek, but I’m happy with everything else. To do the
highlights for the greenery, I used yellow ochre mixed with the bluish black
that I made with the ultramarine blue and the cadmium red, and I and I used
those for some of the lighter parts of the leaves that I added in. I just forgot
to do the ones around her cheek. Looking at the before and after for the last 20
minutes, I was struck by how taking out so much the blue background allows some of
the other colors, like the flowers in her hair, to stand out. I started the next 20
minutes by adding the lighter color to the leaves by her cheek.
I added some black from the background to the grass area, not a lot, just to
cover some of the blue peeking through. I didn’t like how monotone the grass was
looking, so I added some the yellow ocher mix along with some black mixture I made
that had too much cadmium red. This actually solved one of my problems
because the painting is actually a little bit out of balance. In my opinion,
her face is more towards the middle where in the original photo a little bit
more towards the left, so I had all that background showing; but by putting in
some different colors in the grass, I feel like it adds just enough interest
that I don’t feel like I’m bothered by so much grass showing. Next, I made some skin
colors with white, yellow ochre, and a little bit of my black blue mix and
worked on the facial structure. The nose was giving me such difficulty,
as you can probably tell. I finally removed her nostril all together from
the side angle. I used to some my reddish black under
her chin so the skin could have different shadow tones from most of the
rest of the paintnig. I might be almost done with this, only a few more minutes
for finishing touches. I got sucked into fussing with in nose
more. While working on the mouth, I thought my initial end product looked snobby. I
wasn’t sure if I should try to fix it because it seemed I was more likely to
make it worse rather than better. I took the risk and did liked it better, but now
the mouth looked too small. That’s better than snobbish, so I stopped.
I decided it’s done. After the painting has cured a few months, I will varnish
it which will make the matte and glossy areas uniform in their luminescence. Right now it’s really obvious–the sections that look matte and the sections that
look glossy and it is disjointed; but varnish will fix it

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *